Wednesday, February 17, 2016

The Mackinaw Coat by Designs by Call Ajaire

 

I definitely sew many easy, fast, comfy pieces and outfits for my kids and myself. That's how we like it. Easy on and off, easy care, great for layering knits, tops, sweatshirts, leggings.

But once in a while I love to make a structured garment. First of all, I get to "dust off" sewing skills I haven't used in a while, think of creative solutions to sewing problems and enjoy the process.

The Mackinaw Coat allowed me to do all that. First of all, the testing was fun! I've tested a few indie patterns and this designer stood out with attention to detail. Once you see the pattern, you will understand.

It was a pleasure to sew, the instructions are fantastic, and very detailed with full color illustrations.

And best of all - my daughter is very pleased with the coat! As a matter of fact, she has requested another one, black with black fur collar of course, since black goes with everything!

I made the dramatic collar version in Painting Red Rhinos baby corduroy with a fleece collar, bound buttonholes and cotton hot pink cheetah print lining.
The fit was excellent and true to size, nice shoulder definition and roomy enough through the sleeve to add insulation, if the need arises.

An adventurous beginner/intermediate sewist  would have a great time making this coat and learning new techniques. And if you want easy? Just follow the instructions, omit bound buttonholes and replace with regular buttonholes or even KAM snaps (large plastic snaps) and you are done!

Options include: dramatic or regular shawl collar, built in loop detail, sizes 12 month to 12 years for both boys and girls, buttoned belt and bound buttonholes, front pockets with optional placket.


I would love to try out a denim version as well - it would look fantastic in dark denim with lighter fleece collar, topstitching and brass jeans buttons.



Pattern Release Promo
Currently use coupon MACK15 to receive 15% off from Designs by Call Ajaire Etsy Shop though February 21st or join Designs by Call Ajaire Facebook Group for a special 25% coupon and a sew along starting February 23rd. I am planning on joining the sew-along just for fun!

























Head over to Call Ajaire's Facebook Group to see fabulous versions other testers made.

2 comments:

  1. I love your version! So much fun! Looking forward to seeing the one your daughter requested -- in black with the black fur collar ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emi! I am thinking on doing a denim one with fleece collar for my little guy, first! Love all the boy versions I've been seeing.

      Delete